Adding Smartwares RM175RF Smoke Alarms to NodeRed

I recently acquired a Ring house alarm system, and was looking for a means of including smoke alarms in the system. It appears that you can get ZWave-enabled smoke alarms in the US, which work with the US Ring systems, but because of a difference in the permitted radio frequency bands, they don't work in the UK and EU. Bum. And nobody seems to have done the same thing for any in this geography.

However, my NodeRed is equipped with RFLink, the nifty NL-based 433MHz wireless system, which I already use to control some light switches and listen for the Friedland doorbell. The latter uses a Telegram interface and a bot to send a Telegram message when the bell rings, and has worked fine for a long time. I was reading through the latest RFLink supported devices list and realised it contains smoke alarms!! I patiently worked my way through the list until I found some that were available in the UK, handily from Amazon, so I didn't have to wait long. I bought Smartwares RM175RF in a double pack, so they are linked together using the 433MHz signal, so the one is triggered by the other being triggered, so you can hear it more easily, which is a cool idea.

They arrived, took 5 minutes to set up, and I saw that my debug output from the RFLink Input node was already showing the receipt of messages! Amazing.

"20;E5;RM174RF;ID=80ff83;SWITCH=01;CMD=ON;SMOKEALERT=ON;↵"


Right, how do I decode this? A few moments later, I realised I'd already written the parser node, which set up a NodeRed message property "smokealert", set to the value of the "=ON/OFF" part. Note that I haven't seen an OFF yet! It took only a few minutes to extend the parser outputs, selecting on "RM174RF", open a new flow, add some code to put a message in the message, link it all up and stick it into the Telegram sender. Moments later, the smoke alarm was telling my wife, currently in Basel (don't ask!), that a some alarm was sounding! Fortunately I'd already warned her, and she is used to getting odd messages from hubby testing stuff...


Smokewares RF175RF Smoke Alarms
Smokewares RM175RF smoke alarms

I love it when something works as easily as that! Doubtless I'll find some problem, like they are optical when I really need both optical and alpha-particle, but hey...

Now all I have to do is put on them on the relevant ceilings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacing Coffee Machine Pump (Dualit Espressivo)

Multiple SHT30 sensors on a single I2C bus with Sonoff-Tasmota

NodeMCU + Tasmota code + SHT30