Standards? You want standards? We have loads of those... Or why I can't control my heating yet

After I lashed out on the RFLink stuff mentioned here, I was thinking about other things it could be used for. And then I realised that we have a wireless heating thermostat! There's a box we can move around in the living areas, and a receiver/relay that turns on the heating when the thermostat calls for heat. Surely this would be a great opportunity for controlling the heating more closely, and even using in-room individual thermometers and RF-controlled radiator valves to deliver heat where we need it. Excellent!

OK. It appears that RFLink can communicate with Drayton wireless devices... Oh, mine's a Honeywell... ah, I think you'll find that that's a 868MHz device sir, I'm afraid you'll need a different RFLink gateway for that! Not to mention that there's an undocumented protocol between sensor and receiver. Bugger.

Nice idea though. I might revisit this sometime. There are some interesting RF controlled TRVs... e.g.
Smartwares SH5-TDR-A / SHS 5300 Heating Controller / Radiator Valve (Send + Receive) which is compatible with the RFLink.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacing Coffee Machine Pump (Dualit Espressivo)

Multiple SHT30 sensors on a single I2C bus with Sonoff-Tasmota

NodeMCU + Tasmota code + SHT30